Sunday, June 26, 2016

Updated: 2016 Presidential Primaries - Super PACs & Independent Expenditures

It has been a few months since I've been able to viz for fun, but I wanted to make sure I submitted an entry for the latest Tableau Iron Viz feeder! Lucky for me, this round is politics themed, which gave me an opportunity to refresh and enhance my Independent Expenditures viz.

Now that the primary season is over, I was able to pull data for the entire 2016 cycle, and also include a comparison to 2012. Not surprisingly, 2016 has seen a significant jump in independent expenditures from Super PACs. More surprising:

  1. How flat-footed the Democratic party was caught in 2012, compared to their Republican counterparts, in taking advantage of the new campaign financing infrastructure provided by Citizens United and SpeechNow.
  2. How much spending is loosed multiple months before the Iowa caucuses.
Original post and viz here!

No comments:

Post a Comment