Sunday, February 28, 2016

NFL Injuries - 2015 Regular Season

A few weeks ago, as I was trying to find an interesting dataset to analyze, I promised myself I wouldn't be drawn into creating another sports-related viz. As you might have guessed from the title, or from a peek at the viz below, I wasn't very successful. This will be the last post on sports-related content for a while (if I can help it).

I happened to be scrolling through the NFL's website, and came across a well structured set of official injury reports from last season. Immediately, I knew this was an opportunity to answer a few questions that had been on my mind for a while now:
  1. What NFL position is the most dangerous to play? QB and WR concussions gain a lot of media attention and protection from the referees, but I suspected that defensive players were likely subject to many unsung perils (a hunch that proved to be true, as you can see that linebacker was the most injured position last year).
  2. In Tableau, how do you plot data points onto a custom image/background/map? I had read the nice and straightforward knowledge base article on it, but was itching to give it a go in practice.
  3. How do you use basic (free) web scraping tools? I had seen references to both import.io and datascraping.co and decided to give the latter one a shot. All in all, it turned out to be a fairly easy tool to use, although it still left me with a fair amount of manual cleanup to do. I plan on giving import.io a shot the next time I have data to pull from a website.
That should be enough background for now-- enjoy the viz below! I was startled/disturbed by numerous takeaways, including:
  1. The general degradation of players' bodies over the season. Even with the dip in injuries due to heavy bye weeks, the trend is unmistakeable. As the season continues, more players are showing up on the injury report.
  2. QBs do not get injured all that often (relative to other positions, anyway, as they are ranked 11th in terms of injury volume).
  3. Lower body injuries are the most common ailments for almost every single position.
  4. Defensive players are injured far more often than offensive players (and yet, the most prominent anti-head-hunting and anti-targeting rules are in place to protect offensive players).
  5. I almost forgot-- don't let your kid play linebacker!

4 comments:

  1. Just wish to say your article is as surprising.

    The clarity to your post is simply great and that i could
    suppose you’re a professional on this subject.
    Well with your permission let me to clutch your feed to stay up to date with approaching post.

    Thank you a million and please continue the rewarding
    work.
    Tableau Guru
    www.sqiar.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful article! Your passion for trading shines through, and your tips are invaluable. I noticed you briefly mentioned Radhe exchange ID verification; do you have any personal experiences with their platform that you'd be willing to share?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go India Tour and Cabs leads in providing Taxi service in Jaipur that offers the most luxurious and reasonably priced taxi trips in world-class vehicles. We offer cab in Jaipur travel, outstation trips, weddings, corporate events, airport services, and sightseeing in Jaipur.

    ReplyDelete